If you are shopping for gold jewelry but face sticker shock at the cash register, have you considered buying gold-over-silver jewelry? You have likely heard of gold plating, a practice that has been in place for over a century, but you’re unsure why it’s a great alternative to solid gold. At ELF925, we will show you how to shop for the right gold-plated pieces, plus give you a variety of pieces to choose from at excellent prices.
The Gold-Over-Silver Alternative
Modern techniques have changed the way that jewelers like us create gold-plated pieces. We produce gold-over-silver jewelry of a quality similar to that of solid gold, which is the most highly recommended method to gold plate. This is because silver provides an excellent foundation as the base metal when gold plating.
The next time you’re out and about, study the pieces that you find most attractive, and inquire about base metal used when gold plating. You may be pleasantly surprised when you discover designer pieces created with the gold-over-silver method – and you never would have noticed the difference.
Choosing the Right Silver and Gold
There are different types of silver, and it does matter which is used in your jewelry. Pure silver, while is sounds nice, is much too soft to make into jewelry, although it can be alloyed with other metals. Sterling, for instance is 92.5% pure silver, and the other 7.5% is metal alloy. This is as pure as you can get when making silver jewelry.
The most valuable gold-plated jewelry uses sterling silver as the base, and this is what we use at ELF925. It’s actually where the “925″ comes from, so you know that our pieces meet the highest standards.
The other factor is the purity of gold. As with silver, pure gold must be alloyed with another metal to maintain its integrity and be formed into jewelry. Have you heard or 18-carat or 14-carat gold and not known what those terms mean? 18-carat is 75% pure, while 14-carat is 58% pure. If either of these two types of gold is plated over a sterling silver base, the resulting product is called vermeil. You can buy no finer gold-plated jewelry.
The Right Gold-Over-Silver Jewelry for You
Now that you know that the quality of gold-plated jewelry can be just as fine as solid gold, and you’re informed about how to shop for it, it’s time to consider which pieces to add to your own jewelry box. Fashionable pendant necklaces and bracelets are available, as well as rings to accessorize your new cocktail dress. But did you know that even wedding bands can be vermeil? No one will never know these aren’t solid gold. Since they are so affordable, they also make great, lasting gifts that will truly please the recipients and won’t break your bank.
ELF925′s reputation is as one of the finest silver jewelers in Thailand. You will love our wide selection of pieces, from children’s to adults’ and a wide variety of styles for any occasion. Browse the internet to see what we can offer you, and happy shopping!