Do you consider yourself or imagine being a jewellery connoisseur? Are you passionate about jewellery that you know which designer necklace Charlize Theron donned in her last appearance? If you answered affirmatively, then you can make money as a jewellery influencer and reseller.
Oh, and if you are curious, Charlize wore a stunning Tiffany & Co pendant embellished with 165 diamonds on platinum in her latest red-carpet appearance.
That aside, here are four proven ways to make money as an independent jewellery merchant or connoisseur. You can even make money without ever touching a piece of jewellery or holding stock!
1. Become an Instagram Influencer
If you have excellent taste in jewellery, can hunt for rare and interesting jewellery, then you should consider becoming an Instagram influencer. You will use your profile to post and talk about jewellery and have people buy it from your store or one you are affiliated with. Take time to understand how Instagram influencers grow their audiences and make money.
Here are some tips to get you off the ground as far as being a jewellery influencer is concerned:
- Take high-quality photos and video clips- bad quality never sells on Instagram! Don’t compromise.
- Find unique pieces that cannot be found with a simple Google search.
- Show your followers how to wear them- matching jewellery with attire, occasion, season etc.
- Get in on the trend- See those trendy silver bangles for women that everyone is talking about? Make several posts about them. Never, ever miss a trend as far as jewellery is concerned.
- Follow other influencers- It’s always good to engage with other influencers in your niche. Look for successful influencers like Della Fard, Lucy Williams, Gemgossip and others and give them a follow. It might also help you identify trending pieces and cover them in your page.
- Use Hashtags to grow your audience
2. Open Your Niche Store
You don’t have to be a top dealer to open a jewellery store online; all you need is passion and good taste. With that, you can look for interesting pieces across the web or in physical stores and add them to your store. Fulfil any order that comes your way using automated dropshipping tools or manually with a team of VAs. Many influencers make a lot of money with their own niche store without ever holding or touching stock!
It’s important to pick a particular niche should you choose to open a store. You will be competing with megastores like Amazon if you launch a general store. A niche store that focuses on a particular type or brand of jewellery will perfume better. Examples of niches include; party necklaces, paparazzi jewellery, costume jewellery, nature-inspired earrings etc.
3. Sell Improved, Restored or Redone Jewellery
Another great idea is to purchase jewellery and add value before reselling it on a profit. You can buy simple pieces that could do with additional embellishments, buy damaged pieces and improve them or redesign ugly jewellery for a profit. Always look for unique, broken and dull jewellery in pawn stores and flea markets.
4. Start Blogging About Jewellery
If you love jewellery, then you probably know a lot of things that you could share on a blog or podcast. Starting a jewellery blog or podcast will give you a chance to talk about things you love, share your knowledge and help other people while doing it. There are numerous ways to monetize a blog or podcast if it has substantial traffic or following. Here are some ideas:
- Add a jewellery store in your blog
- Recommend jewellery using affiliate links
- Use targeted ads on your blogs
- Find a sponsor
- Sell digital products- e.g. a jewellery guide, magazine, photobook etc.
Anyone can make good money reselling or talking about jewellery on the web or offline. You just need passion, consistency and good taste in jewellery. All the best!